Wednesday 22 April 2020

Camerons beach

This is my writing about a special place for our family. It is based on a true event. The place is Camerons beach. The hardest part was editing. My favorite part was writing and blogging it. To be BTB, I could have said where it was in the text.


“Hurry up Miro!” Rewa yelled as she sped past me on her bike. I smiled to myself and changed gears. The next thing Rewa saw was a bike speeding past her. I stuck my tongue out at her and she glared at me. “Put your bikes down here, girls!” Mum yelled from behind us. I skidded to a halt and Rewa followed suit. The sand felt squishy underneath my feet. I looked behind me where Dad and Mum were laying their bikes and Rewa was pulling off her shoes. I grinned. “Mum!” I yelled. Mum turned around. “What is it?” She said, coming towards me. “Can we go for a swim?” I asked. Mum frowned. “The tide might pull you in,” she said. I inwardly sighed then put on my pleading face. “Awwww! But-” “No buts!” she said sternly and walked away to make a place to cook our sausages. Although she had said no now, I knew she would say yes later. It was just a matter of picking the correct time…

“Ready?” Dad yelled from down the beach. “Yes!” I shouted back. Then, like a bird taking flight, my blue kite soared into the air. Dad whooped. I grinned. Then I made the kite do a double-tuck spin. Mum came over and took a photo. I looked over at the waves for a second, and then the kite came down with a boom. Rewa came running over. I sighed. I knew what was coming next. “Can I have a turn? Can I have a turn? Can I have a turn?” she said excitedly. I silently handed over the handles. Rewa smiled with glee. “Daaada?” she called. “Can you launch the kite?” Dad nodded and shook the sand out of the kite.

The fire crackled as I dropped sticks and paper into the hungry flames. “Clear out!” Dad said as he put the sausages above the flames. “From now on,” he added, “No children are allowed in this boundary.” He drew a semi-circle around the fire and food. Rewa, being Rewa, crept around the other side of the boundary and stepped inside. “Rewa…” Mum warned. Rewa grumbled and stepped out of the border. I decided to wait a bit longer before asking Mum about swimming. After we finished our sausages, Dad decided to fly the big 2.4 kite. It went up in a blaze of orange. A Dad guided it over our heads, I decided to ask Mum about swimming again. “Mum,” I ventured. “Can we go for a swim? I promise we bought a spare change of clothes!” Mum sighed and mumbled something that sounded a bit like “The spare change of clothes that I carried here.” Then she said, “As long as you stay in our line of sight and don’t go too deep.” I silently whooped, then yelled out to Rewa.

“Reeeewa!” I called. “Do you want to go for a swim?” Rewa came running over. “Yaa!” she said eagerly. So we changed into T-shirts and shorts, then ran into the waves. Dad was still flying the kite, and Mum was taking photos of him. “Weeee!” Rewa yelled as she splashed through the water. Then she tripped. And fell. And stood up soaking wet. I stifled a laugh. Rewa glared at me, but I could tell that it was half-hearted. I ran deeper into the water and yelled out, “Catch me if you can!” Rewa wrung out her T-shirt, then leaped after me. I laughed. “Don’t go too deep!” Mum called after us. “We won’t!” I called back. Then I leaped headfirst into a wave.

It was cold underneath the wave. As my head broke through the top of the wave, I realized how windy it actually was. "Brrrrr," I said to myself. Rewa splashed/waddled over. “Now we’re both wet!” she said happily. Over on the beach, I could nearly hear Mum sigh.

I dived into the waves three more times. Then Mum’s voice cut through the air. “Time to go kiddo’s!” she yelled. So Rewa and I ran back through the waves towards the beach. When we got back to the beach, we dried ourselves and changed into our other clothes. Then we biked along the wet sand near the water back to the trail.

The end






2 comments:

  1. Wow Miro. What an amazing piece of writing, you really made it feel like I was there with you at the beach. I love how you were able to describe your family and the way they interact with each other. I especially liked the bit where you said that although your mum said no to begin with the answer would be yes if you waited long enough, we used to do the same thing with my mum as children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Miss Farr. Thanks for your comment. I think everyone does that "no" trick with parents. And it works too!:3

      Delete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.